To all NJ residents – reminder that the deadline for filing your ANCHOR benefit application for 2019 is January 31, 2023. The ANCHOR program has replaced the Homestead Benefit. This new program has removed the age limit and increased the income threshold allowing more individuals to qualify. NJ residents should have received a mailer or email from the state on how to complete the application. See below for a summary of eligibility requirements and application process.
ANCHOR eligibility is as follows:
- Homeowners with NJ Gross Income of $150,000 or less will receive $1,500.
- Homeowners with NJ Gross Income of more than $150,000 and up to $250,000 will receive $1,000.
- Renters with NJ Gross Income of $150,000 or less will receive $450.
- Homeowners – Need an ANCHOR ID and PIN to apply online or by phone. If you did not receive a mailer or email with an ID and PIN, but filed a Homestead Benefit application last year, access the online ID and PIN inquiry system to retrieve your ID and PIN Saver PIN Email Request (state.nj.us). Certain homeowners must file a paper application for reasons listed here NJ Division of Taxation – ANCHOR Program – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (state.nj.us).
If you are required to file a paper application, be sure to provide a copy of any necessary supporting documentation. We also recommend mailing the application certified to obtain proof of mailing by January 31, 2023.
- Renters/Tenants – All eligible renters/tenants can and should apply online. However, renters/tenants can complete a paper application. Renters/Tenants do not need an ID or PIN number to file.
Other important items:
- All payments will be issued as checks or direct deposits beginning late Spring 2023 (no later than May 2023).
- If you own your home with a non-spouse and your non-spouse is on the deed, each owner must file a separate ANCHOR application.
More information can be found at NJ Division of Taxation – ANCHOR Program (state.nj.us) or the ANCHOR hotline at 1-888-238-1233.